Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Remember When...

I’ve been listening to Alan Jackson’s “Remember When” today, thinking of good memories from the past.  After racking my brain the past couple of days to understand my dream, I feel like I’ve finally emerged from a dark tunnel I’ve been traveling through the past few months.  Some things are finally making sense, and I’m realizing some things about myself that have haunted me for years now.  While I’m still not sure about everything, I’ll keep working at it.

In the mean-time, I wanted to share a few poems I wrote to or about Don Queco.  I know these will help me remember all the good times in years to come, as well as be grateful for all I experienced, felt, and learned.  If you’re reading this Don Queco, know that just as I wrote and said before, I love you.  Always have, and always will.  Thank you.

First Kiss                                                                                 7-1-09

From that first kiss
I knew I loved you.
You said it felt like
a first kiss…
replacing the last one-
the one that’s hard
to think about now.
It was perfect.
Short- but with
a lingering hold,
leaving warmth that will last
a lifetime.
I’ll never forget
that night
on my front porch.
I asked for it
with only my eyes,
not even realizing it.
You read it-
like a well-read novel.
You just knew.
Even though you
barely knew me.
A kiss full
of hope
for the future.
Feelings linger still-
even 6 months later…
that I’ve always
known you,
since the start of time.
Is that really possible?
I believe.
Who could have known
one simple, small kiss
could forever
change two lives-
healing the ache
from past betrayals,
and instilling
a hope
for a complete, unbroken
future.

Trilogy of Words                                                                                7-10-09

If I could say
just one thing,
it would be I love you.
Nothing else
passing my lips
would be more genuine
or more sincere
than I love you.
No words carry
as much weight
in my personal vocabulary.
I’ve waited so long
to hear them
said to me-
with just as much conviction
as I would humbly speak them.
For now, that trilogy
is locked away,
just waiting for you
to unlock them.
They push against
their safe
wanting to come out,
but they’ve had a long journey,
and have a long journey
still to travel.
Will my ears
ever hear these words again-
said both to me
and by me
but this time,
with someone
who truly means them?



BFF                                                                                                                 7-19-09

Stars and stripes
played in the background-
while fireworks of
every color, shape, and size
brought the sky
above our heads
to life.
Your confession
that I’m your best friend
initially hurt.
Because I want
so much more.
But as I thought,
I realized
being your best friend
is the best compliment
you could give me.
For that’s
how the best relationships start.
It’s the sure
foundation we need
if this is gonna last
forever.
It’s the building block
for a lasting love.
“Best friend”
means so much…
the one who’s always there,
they tell you exactly
what they think,
you can fight,
work it out,
and you’re still
best friends.
You know you can
depend on them.
They won’t turn
their back on you
or desert you
when you’re
going through a trial.
They forgive and forget
and move on.
They know you
as good as you know you.
so, thank you
for calling me
your best friend.
You’re mine too.
            BFF! 


Goodbye Don Queco                                                                                               10-3-09

No matter where life takes us,
no matter what joys or sorrows we have yet to face,
no matter who you marry,
know this-
I will never forget you.
You’ll always have a place in my heart,
reserved just for you,
that will never fade with time,
that will live on,
as long as my spirit.

I pray for you everyday
and will continue.
I pray you’ll find peace.
and someday-
when that woman comes along,
the one you’ll give your whole heart to,
I pray you’ll be ready
and you’ll know
that pure unselfish love
that lasts forever.

Best of luck
may God be with you.

I will always be your-

            Amanda


No comments:

Post a Comment