Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Next Mile


It’s been such an amazing past couple of weeks.  All I have for you today is a poem I recently wrote.  Enjoy!

The Next Mile
I’d made up my mind.
I was prepared to walk alone
for the rest of my days.
I spent many moons
building thick walls
so I wouldn’t
fall off the path
ever again.
I enjoyed life’s beauty
from a distance-
I was there, but couldn’t fully
embrace
all it was trying to offer me.
Hope, faith, love-
while ever near,
never permeating
the barriers-
my walls built to keep me safe
and prevent further injury.
And then one day,
you were standing
on my path
and started walking with me.
How did you do it?
My walls were reinforced
and monitored
for gaps.
Yet somehow
you slipped through.
And now
I’m remembering and feeling
all those things
I’ve been trying
to protect myself from.
Love,
Hope,
Faith,
and no longer
feeling alone.
You took my hand,
and as we started
walking,
I noticed the walls
gradually melting away.
The path before us
isn’t completely visible.
We don’t know
what obstacles
might lie ahead.
But I feel comfortable knowing
if I stumble,
you’ll catch me.
If you don’t know
which path to choose
at times when a choice
must be made,
I’ll be there with you.
And along the way
we can stop
together.
And read
or sing
or dance
or talk
and enjoy the beauty around us.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you will ALWAYS have your poetry to help you along life's twisting, turning path. I'll never forget when you gave me the compilation of all your poems from the beginning until your High School Senior year. I've had many wonderful Christmas presents, but none better than THAT.

    ReplyDelete