Sunday, October 2, 2011

I Walk Alone

Just a poem today.


I Walk Alone
I walk alone.
One set of fresh tracks
along the moist mountain trail.
No sounds
but the trees
whispering secrets to each other.
Their words
bring soft rain
that brushes against
my bare skin.
I pause to remember.
Not so long ago
when I'd lost my way.
It was dark.
So dark and cold.
Fear covered my skin like sweat.
And I fell off the path.
I had no strength
to get up
and make my way back
to the light and warmth.
I had little desire
to leave the dark abyss.
There simply
was nothing left.
One day became 10.
Then 30.
They had no end
nor beginning.
Then, after 4 months
you came down my path.
I'm not sure
how you saw me.
How you found me.
But you found
what I'd lost.
Gently, you picked me up.
You gave me courage, hope, and strength.
Holding my hand
you brought me back to the light.
For a short time,
you walked beside me,
catching me
when I started to fall.
You pointed out
things I'd forgotten
that brought healing.
But I was still scared.
Scared I wasn't strong enough
if I had to walk
the path alone again.
You assured I could.
You had faith in me.
And then
you took a different path.
A new form
of cold and darkness
stands tall in front of me.
I walk alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment